Have you ever written a list of things that would make you happy? Go ahead. Do it. I’ll wait.
I wouldn’t ask you to do anything that I haven’t done, so here’s a sneak peek at my list.
- I want a beautiful house with a big yard for Cleo.
- I want to see beautiful places, but not constantly because traveling is physically exhausting.
- I want to fall in love with somebody who loves me.
- I never want to lose myself in love. I want to keep ‘dating my friends’: lunch, brunch, movies, plays, festivals, you name it. Let’s go!
- I want a job that gives me a relative amount of freedom. I’m not quite jazzed at the idea of working for myself, so I wouldn’t mind a career that gives me time to do and be where I want.
- I want to live creatively. I want to write, paint, take photos. To just create and leave it all out in the world.
- I want to help people who need help surviving but also thriving.
- I want to retire closer to 40 than 60.
I’m curious. Am I the only one that feels like I have the things I want, or that they’re at least on the way? Even as I kept writing this list, I started to feel like I was writing a list of things I’m doing, not just what I want. According to mindfulness teacher Cory Muscara, the hedonic treadmill will make you grow accustomed to the things that make you happy. It will have you thinking you don’t have enough even after you’ve achieved the very thing you’ve been working hardest for.
So what should you do to be happy? Live in the moment. There’s often a lot of bombassery waiting right there for you.
If you’re not blessed to say that you’re already finding happiness in the life you’re living, I suggest two things:
- Remember that faith is required. You’ve gotta believe that good things will come from the work you put in today.
- Change the things you don’t like. If you know for a fact that what you’re doing isn’t bringing you happiness, then stop doing it. And when you start to doubt yourself, ask yourself what matters most to you? Being comfortable right now or getting uncomfortable to get something better?
Let me know what’s on your list below!